October 15, 2014

Evelyn McLean promises respectful leadership

As published in The Erin Advocate - by the candidate

I am running for a position on Erin Council on October 27, and I would like to let you know a little bit about me.

I have lived in the Erin village area since 1974. I retired from the Ontario Provincial Police as an officer in 1999 and subsequently opened up my own business as a Paralegal representing individuals and companies that had been charged with offences under the Provincial Offences Act in Court. I retired from this business in 2009.

During my time with the OPP I sat on the Board of Directors for a Women’s Shelter for victims of Domestic Violence and became the liaison between them and the OPP.

I also was the Community Services Officer for the Town of Caledon, doing presentations for Schools, Elder Abuse, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Sexual Abuse and many other programmes for several years before transferring into Court Services and establishing a system for OPP officers’ court matters in Brampton and Orangeville before retiring.

My husband and I have attended council meetings since 1988, through four different mayors and councils.

The next four years will be very difficult for the new members of Town of Erin Council as there will be some very serious and difficult decisions to be made.

Some of the more important decisions include:

• continuation of the SSMP, which is very important for the growth of Erin

* the Mill Pond/Station Street rebuild issue

• how to attract economic development to Erin and build on it

• Residents are moving from Erin, especially Seniors and young people. With no employment opportunities, high cost of housing and taxes plus the cost of living going up constantly, people find it difficult to remain here. We must find a way to attract people to our beautiful community.

• The amount of fill being brought in from outside our area has to be addressed.

NOW is your chance to bring the Town of Erin into the future with a strong, responsible and respectful leadership who work with the residents to make the Town of Erin a better place to live.

I look forward to your support on October 27, and working FOR you for the next four years.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at evelyn.mclean@sympatico.ca.