May 21, 2014

Looking Back

As published in The Erin Advocate

From the Advocate – 100 years ago (1914)

The Advocate published photos of His Serene Highness Prince Alexander of Teck, brother-in-law of King George, with his wife Princess Alice of Albany, granddaughter of Queen Victoria. He will soon succeed the Duke of Connaught as Governor General of Canada.

From the Advocate – 45 years ago (1969)

A fire in the second floor auditorium of the Hillsburgh Community Centre caused $20,000 in damage. The building was opened in 1963, including the arena, a boardroom, the fire hall and the upstairs recreation hall. Fireman Desmond Hunter was first on the scene, crawling on his hands and knees to open the hall doors, due to dense smoke.

Four members of the All Saints Anglican Church Altar Guild, Mrs. M. Ellerby, president, Mrs. P. Covert, Mrs. W. Longstreet and Mrs. C. Hull, attended the meeting of the Niagara Diocese Altar Guild in Milton.

Several Guides and Brownies from the 1st Erin Pack were awarded their cook badges: Diane Saul, Patty McPherson, Lori Gregson and Linda Cook.

A $1 billion futuristic satellite city of 47,000 next to Norval was proposed at a Chinguacousy council meeting. Schools would be next to a greenbelt, so no student would have to cross a highway. Developers would eliminate cars from the central radial core of the community, with a system of electric golf cart type vehicles covered by plastic bubbles, or commuter vehicles like those at the CNE.

From the Advocate – 35 years ago (1979)

The Hillsburgh Lions Club extended thanks to the Guides who helped with the park clean-up, Janell Hurlbutt, Joanna Lewis, Colleen Yates and Wendy Wagenaar, as well as Brownies Debbie Hurlbutt, Jennifer Yates, Estelle Rulton, Lee Rulton and Robyn Gordon.

Erin village homeowners will pay about 15% more in property taxes this year. An average house assessed at $15,000 will pay $532. The increase was offset by residential growth, and two new major industries, Greening Donald and Graham Fiberglass.

Ian McGibbon, Chair of the All Saints Church Building Committee, received village approval for an expansion, including a two-storey parish hall and Sunday school. The parish dates back to 1853, when it was part of a Milton-based missionary circuit. Land for the church was bought in 1867 for five shillings.

From the Advocate – 25 years ago (1989)

Township Council received an 800-name petition from Pat Nijhuis, representing the Mimosa Women’s Institute, demanding reconstruction and warning signs at the unsafe intersection of County Road 22 and Second Line. Reeve Duncan Armstrong said he would suggest that the county study the site.

The Erin 4H Goat Club had its first meeting of the year under the leadership of President Sarah Nijhuis, VP Coralee Clark, Secretary Becky Fife, Treasurer Murray Fife and Press Reporter Steven Prokopowich.

Sir Edmund Hillary visited Brisbane Public School to tell of his 1953 ascent of Mount Everest with Tenzing Norkay. Carol Davison and the Brisbane Red Cross Club donated $200 from the sale of apple and oranges to help with Hillary’s campaign to improve health care in the mountain areas of Nepal.

Crews have finished ripping out the CPR railway tracks from the main road crossings in Hillsburgh and Erin village.